Political decisions have a big impact on the agricultural industry from Farm Bill legislation to estate tax to child nutrition to marketing programs. The USA Dry Pea & Lentil Council is dedicated to addressing these issues, traveling to Washington DC several times a year with an extended, industry-wide mission in February to give voice to the needs of the dry pea, lentil and chickpea industry in meetings with members of Congress and government agencies.
If you would like to be a part of this education effort, please contact the industry office. For more information on the policy stance of the dry pea, lentil, and chickpea industry, download our Policy Positions below.
- 2019 Pulse Industry Letter to Congress
- 2019 Pulse Industry Policy Positions
- Click here for the Washington DC presentation.
The 2016 International Year of Pulses was a huge success!
- Pulse awareness and consumption of pulse crops in the United States is at an all-time high.
- Over 1200 new products with your crops as ingredients have been released in the U.S.in 2016 and over 1100 in 2017.
- The pulse industry has embarked on a Pulse Brand campaign, promoting your crops as the superfood that it is, competing with whole grains, quinoa, kale and other foods that pale in comparison to the health and nutrition, sustainability, affordability, and versatility of Pulse Crops.
- This campaign has had over 3.44 billion media impressions with over 840,000 active users on social media in 2016, and our Half-Cup Habit: Just Add Pulses campaign has had over 2 billion impressions in 2017.
North American Marketing Campaign
- “Just Add Pulses!” Half Cup Habit Campaign – The pulse industry has launched a new marketing campaign, encouraging consumers to “Just Add Pulses” to their diet in order to achieve the recommended 3 ½ cups of pulses consumed per week. Pulses have maintained strong markets with good prices in spite of a dramatic increase in acreage in the United States over the past three years. The goal of this campaign is to build demand with all health-conscious consumers in North America.
- Pulse Brand Campaign – The pulse industry has created its own brand to help consumers identify products that contain pulses. This brand immediately indicates to consumers that the product is a healthy, nutritious and sustainable choice. A strong marketing campaign will provide food manufacturers an incentive to use the pulse brand on their products, and help the industry promote pulses as the plant-based food of choice.
- Functionality and Nutrition Research – An increase in research funding will provide a research legacy to support the development of new products and uses for pulse crops. Food products containing pulses are projected to increase in almost every category of food. Manufacturers and processors need additional scientific information about the function of pulse flours and ingredients, the differences created each year by location and variety, and definitive studies about the health benefits of pulses.