- 3 quart, ½ cup Garbanzo beans, low sodium, canned, drained, rinsed and drained to remove rinse water (approximately 1 ⅕ #10 cans)
- 1 ½ cup, 1 tablespoon Buffalo wing sauce, commercially prepared
Shaker Salad Ingredients
- 1 quart, 2 ½ cup Carrot, shredded
- 1 quart, 2 ½ cup Cucumber, slices, cut in halves
- 1 quart, 2 ½ cup Celery, diced
- 3 quart, ½ cup Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 25 2-fluid ounce portions Ranch dressing, reduced fat
Blazin’ Buffalo Chickpea Salad Directions
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- In large mixing bowl, combine drained garbanzo beans and buffalo wing sauce. Stir gently to coat beans.
- Line three full-size baking sheets with parchment or foil.
Divide garbanzo beans between pans so that each has a single layer of beans.
Chef’s Note: Some sauce will collect at the bottom of the mixing bowl. Leave space on each sheet to evenly divide the last beans and additional sauce between all pans.
- Place baking sheets in oven. Oven glaze for 5 minutes, then stir beans gently on pan. Return to oven and heat for 5 more minutes or until majority of sauce is set and beans are glazed but not roasted.
- Remove from oven and allow beans to cool, then transfer to pan to chill to 41°F.
Assemble Each Salad:
- Place ½ cup of oven-glazed Buffalo Garbanzo Beans in bottom of the salad shaker container (2 cup or 16 fluid ounce size).
- Layer ¼ cup each of shredded carrots, sliced cucumbers, and diced celery.
- Top with ½ cup chopped romaine lettuce.
- Serve with 2-fluid ounce portion of reduced-fat Ranch dressing.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerator until service.
Other pulses may be used in this recipe. For example, great northern beans or navy beans may be used in place of garbanzo beans.
½ cup glazed garbanzo beans with 1 cup vegetables in shaker salad
Meal Components per serving:
2 ounces equivalent Meat/Meat Alternate and 1 cup Vegetables (¼ cup Dark Green, ¼ cup Red/Orange and ½ cup Other vegetable subgroups)
Approximate nutritional contribution per serving:
315 Calories, 15 grams Fat, 0 grams Saturated Fat, 0 grams Trans fat, 10 milligrams Cholesterol, 1015 milligrams Sodium, 40 grams Carbohydrate, 7 grams Dietary Fiber, 18 grams Sugars, 9 grams Protein, 6982 International Units Vitamin A, 5 milligrams Vitamin C, 110 milligrams Calcium, 2 milligrams Iron.
Critical control point: Cool to 70°F or lower within 2 hours and from 70°F to 40°F within 4 more hours. Place in shallow pans with a product depth of 2 inches or less and refrigerate or place shallow pans of product into ice bath, immerse pans into ice up to product level and stir frequently. Cover and label product.
Wash hands and exposed parts of arms before handling food, after handling raw foods, and after any interruption that may contaminate hands. Wash, rinse and sanitize all equipment and utensils before and after use. Return all ingredients to refrigerator if preparation is interrupted. Measure all internal product temperatures with a cleaned and sanitized thermocouple or thermometer every 2 hours.