- 2 cups of canned or cooked chickpeas
- 1 small onion peeled and left whole
- 5 cups of water more or less depending on how you’ll cook the chickpeas
- 1/2 tablespoon of kosher salt more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 cup of crushed tomatoes or 1 cup of grated fresh tomatoes
- Juice of lime
- Fresh chopped parsley and cilantro
- Green chili or jalapeños chopped
- Chili flakes optional
Soothing Garlic Chickpea Soup Directions
- Cook chickpeas with a whole onion, peeled. If you have an instant pot, slow cooker, pressure cooker, any of those will work. If not, you can cook the chickpeas on the stove.
- Drain the chickpeas once cooked and save the water.
- In the same pot, sauté plenty of garlic in olive oil, add in fresh grated tomatoes or crushed canned tomatoes, some cumin and the chickpea water.
- Add the chickpeas and let them simmer in this garlic tomato broth for at least half an hour.
- Squirt in some lime juice, throw in some fresh chopped parsley and cilantro, and finish off with some chopped green chili or jalapeños.
Recipe developed by: Two Purple Figs